The Business Action Outstanding New Business Award recognises the success of new businesses in or near North Devon as they establish themselves.
New businesses are essential to the success of the North Devon economy as new technology causes some older industries to disappear and the natural cycle leads to experienced business people retiring. New businesses are always needed to replace old ones and to develop the economy for the future. Due to its remoteness, running a business here is a big challenge and maintaining a business here is a major achievement.
From buying and selling goods at a market to establishing a specialist consultancy, the Outstanding New Business Award highlights entrepreneurs who put their plans into action to build a successful North Devon business.
2022 has been another challenging year for everyone and many individuals have started new businesses in response to their changing circumstances. The Outstanding New Business Award seeks to recognise and celebrate these new businesses.
Sponsor this award – call 07971 176044
The judges are looking for evidence of at least one of the criteria below. You don’t have to meet all – just use them as a guide for your entry – what’s most important is for you to tell your story!
- Businesses started in spare time, after leaving employment or with own investment or established businesses transformed by new owners.
- Investment in training to develop necessary business skills
- Original business ideas or a fresh take on an existing type of business
- Persistence in driving a business from scratch to success
- Success such as employing staff or exporting
- Drive and commitment to transform a vision into reality
- Business started in response to changed circumstances caused the pandemic and market conditions
Who can enter?
The Outstanding New Business Award is open to any business in or near North Devon started on or after 1 January 2021. This includes businesses acquired by and transformed by new owners.
Businesses can enter themselves or can nominate other businesses.
Category rules for entry
Please follow the category rules below, which also include useful suggestions on how to ensure your entry showcases achievements in the best possible light.
- You can enter your own business or another business based in or near North Devon for this award.
- Business entered must have been started on or after 1 January 2021. The judges will also consider businesses that have changed ownership and have been run by new management since 1 January 2021.
- Ensure you read the awards terms and conditions.
- Read the criteria and the questions on the form below in advance so that you understand what the judges are looking for and tailor your answers to these.
- There is no restriction on how much information you can provide in your answers, although please ensure that anything you say is relevant to this award. The questions are deliberately open to enable you to submit the best possible entry and the examples given are purely illustrative.
- Add any other information you feel is important to highlight success.
- Provide as much detail and evidence as possible to back up your claims, including relevant links to web sites or videos.
- Write and save your answers in a note-making or word-processing app first and copy them into the form below. This ensures you do not lose anything you have taken a long time to write.
- Attach any files, eg customer compliments or images of products, to support your entry.
- Closing date: Entries must be submitted before 5pm on FRIDAY 23 February 2024 [UPDATED]
Enter award now
Complete and send the form below to enter or download and email the Word entry form.