The Business Action ‘Outstanding New Business Award’ recognises the success of new North Devon businesses as they establish themselves.
New businesses are essential to the success of the North Devon economy as new technology causes some older industries to disappear and the natural cycle leads to experienced business people retiring. New businesses are always needed to replace old ones and to develop the economy for the future. Due to its remoteness, running a business in North Devon is a big challenge and maintaining a business here is a major achievement.
From buying and selling goods at a market to establishing a specialist consultancy, the Outstanding New Business Award highlights entrepreneurs who put their plans into action to build a successful North Devon business.
2020 has been a challenging year for everyone and many individuals have started new businesses in response to their changing circumstances. The Outstanding New Business Award seeks to recognise and celebrate these new businesses.
Announcing the Outstanding New Business Award 2021 Winner
The winner will be announced on Friday 18 June 2021.
Announcing the Outstanding New Business Award finalists
Read about all the finalists in the April / May issue of Business Action magazine – out on Friday 23 April.
The judges are looking for evidence of one or more of the criteria below. You don’t have to meet all – just use them as a guide for your entry:
- Businesses started in spare time, after leaving employment or with own investment or established businesses transformed by new owners.
- Investment in training to develop necessary business skills
- Original business ideas or a fresh take on an existing type of business
- Persistence in driving a business from scratch to success
- Success such as employing staff or exporting
- Drive and commitment to transform a vision into reality
- Business started in response to changed circumstances caused by Covid
Who can enter?
The Outstanding New Business Award is open to any business in North Devon started on or after 1 January 2019. This includes businesses acquired by and transformed by new owners.
Businesses can enter themselves or can nominate other businesses.
Category rules for entry
Please follow the category rules below, which also include useful suggestions on how to ensure your entry showcases achievements in the best possible light.
- You can enter your own business or another business for this award.
- Business entered must have been started on or after 1 January 2019. The judges will also consider businesses that have changed ownership and have been run by new management since 1 January 2019.
- Ensure you read the awards terms and conditions.
- Read the criteria and the questions on the form below in advance so that you understand what the judges are looking for and tailor your answers to these.
- There is no restriction on how much information you can provide in your answers, although please ensure that anything you say is relevant to this award. The questions are deliberately open to enable you to submit the best possible entry and the examples given are purely illustrative.
- Add any other information you feel is important to highlight success.
- Provide as much detail and evidence as possible to back up your claims, including relevant links to web sites or videos.
- Write and save your answers in a note-making or word-processing app first and copy them into the form below. This ensures you do not lose anything you have taken a long time to write.
- Attach any files, eg customer compliments or images of products, to support your entry.
- Entries must be submitted before 23:59 on Monday 15 March 2021 – we will accept late entries up until midday on Tuesday 16 March.
Enter Outstanding New Business Award 2021
This award is now closed for submissions. Many thanks for all your entries.