Date(s) - Thu 28-Nov-19
9:30 am - 11:30 am
Caddsdown Business Support Centre
The Be Ready project is a new Employer Support Service to enable employers to recruit and retain people with disabilities and long term health conditions. The service is due to be launched in February 2020 but as part of its set-up phase, this workshop is for businesses to share their ideas and feedback on how the service can best match employers’ needs.
The Be Ready Employer Hub is a new Employer Support Service project designed to help Devon-based businesses, charities and social enterprises understand and build on the benefits of recruiting and retaining people with disabilities or long-term health conditions. The service will be launched in February 2020 and will be free to use (as it is jointly funded by Devon County Council/Learn Devon and the Department for Work and Pensions).
It is called Be Ready as it is the implementation stage of the “Ready When You Are” awareness campaign run by the council last year. Be Ready will comprise a range of services, including:
- On-line knowledge resource ‘hub’ providing all the information and links for employers who are ready to take the next step but not sure where to start.
- Training – either delivered on-site (for larger organisations) or as a group at a local location, bringing together smaller businesses.
- A telephone help-line (call-back) service for specific questions about any aspect of disability or long term health condition.
- Peer networking groups for employers to share experience, ideas and have open and honest conversations about employing individuals with a disability.
- Opportunities to achieve the different levels of the Disability Confident scheme.
The focus (‘voice’) of the service will be on the ability and talent of individuals (rather than the disability or health condition) to highlight the business benefits of valuing difference and diversity. This includes how to gain competitive advantage by tapping into the “Purple £” (the estimated annual spend of disabled people, their family and friends worth c. £249 billion in the UK) as a potential market.
The project aim is to ensure the services match what employers need, so as the project is still in its ‘set-up’ phase, there are a series of focus group workshops around the county during November/December. These events are designed to get feedback and ideas from businesses on how the service can match both employers’ and disabled people’s needs.
Alternatively, if people cannot attend the workshop, you can still provide your ideas on what the service should provide on our feedback page readydevon.org.uk/get-started/